New CPT® Code Available to Report the Use of Virtual Reality Technology with Therapeutic Services
November 16, 2023
New Category III CPT® code 0770T for reportingthe use of virtual reality technology during therapies (e.g., psychotherapy, speech therapy, health behavior intervention, occupational therapy, physical therapy, adaptive behavior/ABA services) went into effect on January 1, 2023. Onlythepractice expenseassociated with use of the technology is billable. Thatincludes technician time, disposable supplies costs, and reusable equipment costs. Code 0770T is to be listed separately from and in addition to the code for the primary procedure on claims.
In approving 0770T, the CPT Editorial Panel provided the following guidance (page 926, CPT 2023 Professional Edition):
Virtual reality (VR) technology may be integrated into multiple types of patient therapy as an adjunct to the base therapy. Code 0770T is an add-on code that represents the practice expense for the software used for the VR technology and may be reported for each session for which the VR technology is used. VR technology is incorporated into the base therapy session and is used to enhance the training or teaching of a skill upon which the therapy is focused. Code 0770T does not incur any additional reported therapist time beyond that already reported with the base therapy code.
The Panel also designated specific CPT codes that are appropriate to be used in conjunction with the virtual reality technology represented by 0770T. Those codes are:
- Psychotherapy: 90832, 90833, 90834, 90836, 90837, 90838, 90847, 90849, 90853
- Speech therapy: 92507, 92508
- Health and behavior intervention: 96158, 96159, 96164, 96165, 96167 96168, 96170, 96171
- Therapeutic procedure: 97110, 97112, 97129, 97150, 97530, 97533, 97535, 97537
- Adaptive behavior/ABA services: 97153, 97154, 97155, 97158
ABA providers should be aware that code 0770T is not technology-specific and should be reported as an add-on code when used in conjunction with ABA services represented by the 4 CPT codes listed above. Please keep in mind that this is a Category III (temporary) code, so some health plans may not cover the service. We encourage you to reach out to your payers proactively to inquire about the following before you submit claims using this code:
- Within what time frame do you anticipate converting to the new CPT® code?
- Will you add 0770T to existing authorizations, or issue separate authorizations for it?
- How should providers prepare for those changes?
- Will yourequire anything beyond the provider’s usual and customary rate and documentation with the submission of claims for 0770T, such as practice expense data or specific information in session notes?